Updating

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
dudemo

Updating

Post by dudemo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:52 am

So upon suggestion, I updated to build 18363 which seems to be the latest version to support cellular SMS/MMS/calls for now. I've read into the latest updates from Gus, however those mods haven't been made public and are not usable now. Which is fine. I don't need most of the features (Calling, mostly) for cellular however having data everywhere is nice. I use it for my Miracast enabled radio in my truck for which my Google Pixel 3 wont connect to. Its handy having map and casting abilities without an internet enabled Wifi device.

So, I grabbed that version of Windows 10 ARM. It deployed great. It even pulled over my previously transferred data from my Hi10 Air and setup my account and preferences based from that device (Its my primary). However, it has tried to update every time I've rebooted. It always gets to about 30%, reboots, and tells me that the update could not be performed. I know why it cant' be deployed. My bootloader is unlocked. But how can I disable WIndows 10 ARM updates? I get tired of my phone taking about 20 minutes to fail and reboot to a working version of Windows 10 ARM.

Help, please? I can defer updates in 10 ARM, but there's no way to actually disable them that I know of.
0 x

The_GTA

Re: Updating

Post by The_GTA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:02 pm

Hey dudemo,

sorry if I cannot properly test that W10ARM build for you to verify (at the moment), but have you tried changing the Computer Group Policy settings to disable Windows 10 updates altogether? Suggesting this because you can do that on desktop version of Windows 10.

I assume you reference the setting of Windows 10 Update settings by "your organisation". This usually refers to group policy/registry settings set to prevent you from modifying through GUI.
0 x

dudemo

Post by dudemo » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:49 am

I was under the impression that Windows 10 ARM was not a "Professional" version of Windows 10 and therefore unable to modify group policy. Though I must admit, I didn't even try that. Then life happened and WoA bricked. I'll redeploy tonight and try that.
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:35 pm

Since you assume that Group Policy can only be edited in Professional editions of Windows 10, please understand that, while gpedit.msc is only shipped with Pro, the group policy is stored inside the Windows Registry thus you can edit them anyway.

KEY LOCATION: Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies

The official Microsoft documentation on the registry values is located at:

https://docs.microsoft.com/de-de/securi ... s/18127499

For instance the registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate\AU
In my experience I use to delete that whole registry key so that I can edit the settings in the GUI instead.
0 x