950 failed - new 950 XL in the post - how to guarantee success?

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
gilius

950 failed - new 950 XL in the post - how to guarantee success?

Post by gilius » Sat Sep 28, 2019 7:20 pm

Could somebody please point me in the right direction in terms of the most up-to-date tutorial - together with any suggested tips or tricks - to hack my way through a successful bootloader unlock of a brand new 950 XL?

I tried to unlock the bootloader of the normal 950 but it failed - seemed to have problems with mass storage. What could I have been doing wrong and how to guarantee I don't mess up my brand new 950 XL?

How did you get your 950/XL to unlock - and did you end up having to deviate from the official guide before you were successful?

Any help would be much appreciated!
0 x

The_GTA

Re: 950 failed - new 950 XL in the post - how to guarantee success?

Post by The_GTA » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Hello gilius,

did you try this tutorial?

It is up-to-date until you get to the WoA installer part, just use WoA deployer from here (I used version 2.6 and it worked).

Since I have no idea about the specifics of your Lumia 950 mass storage problems maybe a little experience on my part will help. If your phone fails to boot into mass storage (it instead boots into regular Windows 10 mobile) try simply restarting the phone. That did the trick for me in the latest W10M build.
Please back up your phone's partitions before attempting to install W10ARM on it. You can always reset it using official Microsoft tools (or look here).

Talking about my experience unlocking the regular 950, I had to deviate A LOT. The problem for me had been getting the darned thing to recognize the flashing profile and then many BSODs. But it got much better with gus33000's latest driver pack. Now I do not have to deviate from the official guide anymore.
0 x

gilius

Post by gilius » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:38 pm

I managed to get the 950 to unlock!!! Here's what I did:
1) Having previously installed the latest Windows Phone software prior to unlocking I actually decided to click next, next (etc.) till I got to the tiles (probably doesn't actually do anything in the context of unlocking the bootloader)
2) I deleted the repository folder under ProgramData and downloaded again via the download section of WP Internals
3) I chose to restore the bootloader before attempting the unlock
4) I first booted the phone to flash mode by clicking the button in WP Internals before attempting to unlock

If I find out anything else I will post it here for others in the same dilemma as me, ie. failing to unlock bootloader with the gears icon.

I already found out that Windows Phone cellular support/drivers were dropped from Windows Insider 18912 so am currently downloading 1903 (though I really wanted 1909):

Will check out the video link and see where this adventure leads me next... cheers GTA!
1 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:22 pm

Glad that a little motivation on my part has lead you to success. Hoping to hear back from you :)
1 x

gilius

Post by gilius » Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:07 pm

Some important points of note so far for other newbies (or technical authors planning to write a guide) - correct me if I'm wrong:
1) WP Internals existed before the WOA Project for unlocking older Nokia/Microsoft phones
2) For Windows 10 on ARM full desktop experience/WOA Deployer: it seems other phones may be supported besides 950/XL perhaps with up to 4GB RAM like the Acer phone - but I have no details on whether they work yet - and of course older Microsoft/Nokia are defo incompatible being ARM32 (Arm 7) as opposed to ARM64 (Arm 8).
3) The "manual" menu in WP Internals should be used for booting to flash mode (before attempting to unlock the bootloader) as well as mass storage mode (after unlocking the bootloader and installing the downloaded ISO/WIM)
4) Charge the battery first before using WOA Deployer - mine might actually run out during initial boot up of Windows 10 on ARM.

So far no BSOD - but still "getting ready" - WOA Deployer seemed to pull the latest drivers automatically from Github (no longer need to select a driver pack). I think I should have possibly researched dual boot first? (can hopefully come back to that later)

Providing I get to the desktop my next immediate concern will be charging as well as bluetooth support; or maybe there's some other ways of connecting accessories including projecting to a screen - perhaps via the USB-C socket (but doubtful).

Update: I've reached OOBE without any hiccups! :)

WIFI works! This is SICK!! :lol: :twisted: I'll have to use the Raspberry Pi 3 as a test machine to try and get an Android emulator running on this... :ugeek:

OMG It's got sound!!! And it seems to be charging! :shock:
0 x

gilius

Post by gilius » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 pm

OMG I cannot believe this... dual boot is working: Windows 10 vs. Windows 10 phone! I simply had to boot to developer menu > mass storage (phone can be charged with most cables/adapters) > open WOA Deployer and enable dual boot via the dual boot menu.

Could probably dual boot linux on this... surprised to hear WSL2 isn't working on later versions of windows - or that windows updates would have a problem.

It seems bluetooth should work... about to find out...

Hopefully with my 950 XL I will get a proper charger that I can use in WOA - or I need to find out more about wireless charging.

Next up is the dialer app...

BTW, why is everyone waiting for a guide since all the latest drivers seems to be included in WOA Deployer/Github?
1 x

gilius

Post by gilius » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm

Here's an update on my adventure with few more pointers:
1) My 950 XL has arrived now so I'm ensuring I update Windows Mobile first - has to go through about 5-6 updates followed by restarts, taking several hours to complete.
2) When WOA Deployer completed 1903 on my normal 950 I had to click done before it did a final stage to safely removing the phone - better not restart it before clicking done.
3) I installed 1709 on top of 1903 - seems to the wipe partitions first. Everything was great except the charging driver had a yellow exclamation mark in device manager - would not charge at all.
4) Oh, for some reason all Windows on Arm versions I've installed is only using about half the processing power at 0.65 GHz or something - nowhere near the 2.0 GHz it should be running at, hence youtube videos barely play.
5) I decided to turn off test mode - but it would not start - so may need a watermark removal tool instead. For some reason windows 10 is activated as per the RPi3.
6) I tried Windows Server on ARM - but had a BSOD about something going wrong - never expected that to work anyhow
7) I next tried 1803 on top of Server - but it would not start - BSOD to do with a process has stopped
8) I went back to 1903 and it has an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE BSOD - will not start
EDIT: BSOD has passed now after several restarts - 1903 working again.

So I'm pretty much done with the normal 950 now. My brand new 950 XL seems more promising because at least Windows Mobile is updating, whereas on my 950 it said "up to date" when it was still on the initial version that comes with the firmware.

UPDATE: No problems so far with the new 950 XL in terms of bootloader unlock and deploying WOA - smooth. I did notice that the first time we use WOA deployer is offers to go into developer mode for quicker applying of the WIM as well as a slightly different procedure it seems - so it's possible that after the first write and re-deploy of a different OS it doesn't actually reset completely - but that may be where the "reset phone" option in developer mode comes into it (haven't tried that yet).

1709 had same problem on 950 XL regarding charge drivers - but CPU is using all 2 GHz! Trying 1803 once again... any higher would use too much RAM - plus need to run some scripts to reduce services anyhow - also disable feature updates before initially connecting to Wifi. Also, I need to test Bitlocker as a priority.
1 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:13 pm

gilius wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:27 pm
So I'm pretty much done with the normal 950 now. My brand new 950 XL seems more promising because at least Windows Mobile is updating, whereas on my 950 it said "up to date" when it was still on the initial version that comes with the firmware.
Here is a little something to think about. In order to make Windows 10 mobile update again for the Lumia 950 you must ensure that...
1) the Data partition of your Windows 10 Mobile installation takes maximum storage space (diskpart the phone's drive in mass storage mode)
2) the boot loader is (re-)locked

Reason: integrity checks are done before update (probably a dev-mode check by MSFT to prevent corruption)

I even managed to have Windows 10 mobile update even though the bootloader was half-unlocked; do not ask how that happened but the phone was really glitchy in return. So make sure both points apply. You do not have to reset the phone to update if you still have Windows 10 mobile on it.

Anyway, I find your experience story really interesting. Feel free to continue posting these. :)
0 x

dudemo

Post by dudemo » Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:51 pm

I was under the impression that the 950 running underclocked was documented? It's the reason I bought a 950 XL instead.

Found it.

Partially working
-SoC Cores - With caveats (The 2 A57 cores do not work, all other cores are locked at around 560 MHz)

Found here: https://www.woaproject.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:53 am

dudemo wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:51 pm
I was under the impression that the 950 running underclocked was documented? It's the reason I bought a 950 XL instead.

Found it.

Partially working
-SoC Cores - With caveats (The 2 A57 cores do not work, all other cores are locked at around 560 MHz)

Found here: https://www.woaproject.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4
The most up-to-date status can also be found on the developer's Github page: https://github.com/WOA-Project/MSM8994- ... iki/Status
1 x

trisot

Post by trisot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 am

I followed the tutorial vid on youtube but when i try to drop the deployment on my 950XL it says that it cant be dropped. I try the 1909 version of windows arm64. Could it be that this is the fault?
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:55 am

trisot wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 am
I followed the tutorial vid on youtube but when i try to drop the deployment on my 950XL it says that it cant be dropped. I try the 1909 version of windows arm64. Could it be that this is the fault?
Dear trisot. I don't think that trying a random 1909 build would point to an error because I tried build 18908 without problems. You could post about more details in your thread (please understand that we are working people that also have a life).
0 x