Installation gone wrong. How to recover

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
Flem100

Installation gone wrong. How to recover

Post by Flem100 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:40 pm

Hi guys.

If the installation of WOA goes wrong, how can I prepare the phone to try again when something like the following happens?

The install of WOA on my factory reset Lumia 950 XL went wrong with BSOD Sad smiley :(. After that it showed the sad face on boot the next couple of times until it then didn't, but instead went into endless reboot mode. I can use both Window Device Recovery tool, Windows Phone Internals and Thor2 to communicate with the phone, but most of the commands just fail.

Fx trying to go mass storage mode using WPI 2.8 shows Flash failed! error in WPI. The phone goes into the communication mode with the 2 white arrows and red/brown -ish background. Can't see the device in File Explorer though.

If I select "Unlock bootloader" in WPI I get "Phone is already unlocked".

The phone seems to be in flash mode and I can't switch to normal mode, it will just go back into endless reboots.

The endless reboot does the following: Shows Windows logo and then shows the update chain wheels for about 15 seconds, before rebooting with a shake and then does the same again and again...

I have tried using Thor2 and Windows Device Recovery tool to install FFU. If I use WDRT it will automatically download the latest FFU. First the tool shows that the phone is Model: Lumia BootMgr. Firmwareversion: unknown. OperationSystemversion: unknown. I can choose to install software from the server: Version 01078.00053.16236.35018. It downloads it and then I get: "The software is not correctly signed, or it is not signed for this phone".
I get the same using Thor2 with different FFU files for the phone model downloaded from "LumiaFirmware" website. If I add the parameter to ignore signing in Thor2 it complains about authentication instead, which I don't know how to handle.

I have tried 10000 software resets, hard resets, restarts and nothing changes. When I hard reset using the key combination:
"Volume Down and Power button for a few seconds.
release held keys as soon as the exclamtion mark appears on the screen.
Volume Up - > Volume Down-> Power - > Volume"
I get the chain wheels to work for about 20 minutes and the progress bar slowly goes towards finish. After that finishes, it goes back to reboot mode.

I think I have Samsung memory and for what I read somewhere, that is a problem, I just don't know what to do about it and how I check if I actually does have Samsung memory. In WPI it shows that I have Samsung 29.1 GB Storage. It doesn't say anything about Memory, but it does show a warning about Samsung eMMC. There is a link to that problem: https://forum.xda-developers.com/showth ... ?t=2096045

I have also posted about my problem in here: https://www.wpinternals.net/index.php/1 ... qus_thread
0 x

vorobejsawka

Re: Установка пошло не так. Как восстановить

Post by vorobejsawka » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:59 pm

Александр Воробьев:
Starting the device in FFU mode

You must load your Lumia device into Microsoft FFU boot mode. To do this, follow these five steps, as indicated below:
1. Turn off your Lumia device. If cyclic restart, just hold the volume button up and hold until the gear and lightning appear.
2. Press the power button.
3. When your Lumia device starts up, the screen will display the Microsoft or Nokia logo. At this point, press and hold the volume button up. This step should be done quickly.
4. You should have a gear and lightning.
5. Connect your Lumia device to your computer.

Device firmware

You will use Windows Phone Image Designer to flash your Lumia device.

1. Download the LumiaFlashTools.zip file to your PC, unzip the archive to the root of the C drive, log in to C: \ LumiaFlashTools \ WPID and launch Start.bat
2. The WPID window will appear, as well as two packet windows (do not close them, otherwise it will close the program). Select Flash a Windows Phone onto your phone and click on the Next button.
3. You have already connected a Lumia device in FFU mode, the software should define it as x.MSMx.xxx where x are variables according to the connected Lumia device. If your Lumia device is not automatically detected by the software, you can click the update button. Then click on the Change button.
4. The firmware file selection window will appear. Go to C: \ ProgramData \ Microsoft \ Packages \ Products \ RM-1116, select the firmware file and click Open.
5. Click on the Flash button and wait until the firmware is installed.
6. The device automatically reboots and the Windows Phone first setup window loads.
If we do not receive the first setting on the output, but hangs on a red flash screen, this time we reflash using Windows Device Recovery Tools.

The program itself for flashing attached
1 x

vorobejsawka

Re: Installation gone wrong. How to recover

Post by vorobejsawka » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:00 pm

1 x

Flem100

Re: Installation gone wrong. How to recover

Post by Flem100 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:24 pm

Thank you so much vorobejsawka!!!!! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!
0 x