Lumia 950 XL cannot get to mass sorage mode

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
strolchi66

Lumia 950 XL cannot get to mass sorage mode

Post by strolchi66 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:29 pm

I tried once WOA with my Lumia 950 XL but could not get the dual boot feature - windows phone and woa.
So I did a complete reset of to Windows Phone and tried to start deploying again.
At the step to unlock the boot loader I get the info: Phone is already unlocked.
At the step to switch to Mass Storage mode, the phone does a restart with a quick flash of a red screen an then boots again to windows normal mode.

What can I do now?
helpless, Wolfgang
0 x

JoachimP

Re: Lumia 950 XL cannot get to mass sorage mode

Post by JoachimP » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:34 pm

Servus Strolchi,

I think you should reflash Windows Mobile, update it to the latest Firmware (e.g. via OTC Updater) and then do a new WoA deployment. I did that because the Phone App was inaccessible... Now it works.

Hope that helps...

Ciao,
Joachim
0 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 pm

Hi,
first of all some
_______________background Info_______________
I succeeded the first part of the progress, namely to unlock the bootloader, three month ago. However, now that I want finally to finish the whole progress, I don't get into the necessary Mass Storage mode... (don't remember having tried that after had finished the bootloader unlock)

I'm wondering whether a Lumia OS update in the meantime is the cause.
But wondering also if the bootloader isn't as unlocked as it should...
WPinternal tells me under 'Info':
- "General info" --> "Bootloader: Lumia Bootloader Spec B"
- "Bootloader Security" is all red (--> "QFuse: Blown" till "Effective bootloader security: Enabled")
and "Secure Boot technology" has one red entry (--> "Secure Boot platform: Enabled")
However, WPinternals click on 'Unlock bootloader' says: "Phone is already unlocked"

So, after all I'm stuck with the same issue strolchi66 described here. What can you guys recommend?
If I'm following Joachim's advices I should reset my Lumia (setting menu-->About menu-->Reset your phone); install OS updates again; and try the whole process from start? Correct?
What about WPinternals "Restore bootloader" function? Wouldn't this be the way to go?

Some help to avoid doing any irreversible steps would be highly appreciated!
Thx
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:18 pm

Csybormelgen wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:40 pm
Hi,
first of all some
_______________background Info_______________
I'm wondering whether a Lumia OS update in the meantime is the cause.
But wondering also if the bootloader isn't as unlocked as it should...
WPinternal tells me under 'Info':
- "General info" --> "Bootloader: Lumia Bootloader Spec B"
- "Bootloader Security" is all red (--> "QFuse: Blown" till "Effective bootloader security: Enabled")
and "Secure Boot technology" has one red entry (--> "Secure Boot platform: Enabled")
However, WPinternals click on 'Unlock bootloader' says: "Phone is already unlocked"
I had the same issue with my Lumia 950. Unlocked, let the OS upgrade and then it failed to get into mass storage mode. And when I tried restoring the boot loader it could not get into mass storage mode.

Problem Description:
So I try to go into Mass Storage Mode by wpinternals GUI. It detects the flashing profile just fine and then restarts the phone. BUT after restarting it just goes straight into W10M OS instead. The wpinternals GUI says that it waits until the phone restarted.

My solution:
Manually restart the phone from the W10M OS. Try repeating the bootloader unlock many times, each time manually restarting the phone, until it works. If you are careful then you won't break your phone.

What I also tried:
So I reinstalled Windows 10 Mobile by first backing up everything and then using Windows Device Recovery Tool. But it did not help because after that wpinternals still said that my phone was unlocked even though it clearly was not. Because Bitlocker was not working either (phone encryption in W10M settings).

Hope this helps!
(Also maybe the wpinternals developer can fix this because it clearly is a bug in his tool?)
1 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 pm

Hey The_GTA, thx for your detailed answers, it gives me new hope to find a way for my device, too!!...

Before trying your solution with persistent retries to unlock the bootloader again, two short questions:
- Did you get the Message "Phone is already unlocked", too, ...till it at some point finally worked for you ?
- Could you check if your Phone runs with W10M v10.0.15254.597, too? Because now that we both had an OS upgrade in the meantime this seems very much to be the cause for the issue... so I also started to wonder if the WPinternal version, 2.8, is a problem, because its readme says it supports WM (only) up to 10.0.15254.547...

Your help is much appreciated!
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:06 am

Csybormelgen wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:12 pm
- Did you get the Message "Phone is already unlocked", too, ...till it at some point finally worked for you ?
- Could you check if your Phone runs with W10M v10.0.15254.597, too? Because now that we both had an OS upgrade in the meantime this seems very much to be the cause for the issue... so I also started to wonder if the WPinternal version, 2.8, is a problem, because its readme says it supports WM (only) up to 10.0.15254.547...
- Yes. When I tried unlocking the bootloader then it always said "Phone is already unlocked" and in the phone information it also said in red text: "Effective bootloader security: Enabled".
- My W10M build version is the same as yours (10.0.15254.597). But it started happening a few builds earlier, sometime in summer.

I do agree that wpinternals may be the problem because the author did not test it thoroughly enough. If you unlock the phone and install WoA on it without updating W10M then it works just fine. BUT if you unlock the phone, update W10M and then install WoA you get into trouble.
1 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:17 pm

Great, thanks for confirming!
I checked the Windows 10 Mobile version history (wiki) and in summer there was already a newer OS build than WPinternals is officially supporting. So let's hope the actual difference won't effect me, neither.

The_GTA wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 6:18 pm
My solution:
Manually restart the phone from the W10M OS. Try repeating the bootloader unlock many times, each time manually restarting the phone, until it works. If you are careful then you won't break your phone.
Just checking last time before getting my hands dirty, ^^
whether I understand proper what your repetitive steps were...:

With non interrupted Lumia--PC cable connection...
while Msg=="Phone is already unlocked"':
- Lumia: Modus = Flash (phone shows black screen with white arrows-circle symbol)
- Lumia: pressing on/off button for about 10sec => restarting phone
- WPinternals: try "Unlock bootloader" │ accessing Flash modus [or still running??]...
till successful* Unlock ?!?
*btw, how did this show up?
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm

With non interrupted Lumia--PC cable connection...
while Msg=="Phone is already unlocked"':
- click to restore boot loader using wpinternals
- Lumia: Modus = Flash (phone shows black screen with white arrows-circle symbol)
- Phone restarts several times, it eventually restarts into W10M OS, and wpinternals says it is waiting to get into mass storage mode
- abort reboot process by holding down power button, forcing the phone to reboot because it is charging (try multiple times, once at Windows logo, another at Microsoft logo, another while in W10M OS already) [Lumia: pressing on/off button for about 10sec => restarting phone]
- if the phone has not been put into mass storage mode but wpinternals is still looking for mass storage mode, repeat last step.
- if the phone was not put into mass storage mode then repeat while loop
- exit loop if reached this point 3 times already

WPinternals: try "Unlock bootloader"

HINT: don't do that while loop fore
1 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 pm

Wow, thanks for this extended version❗ :mrgreen:
You added:
The_GTA wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm
- click to restore boot loader using wpinternals
I see, we're talking about (first of all) restoring the bootloader by
WPinternals usage of: «Restore Bootloader» ⇾ «Restore SecureBoot: Continue»
...which will need (as also the infobox inside WPinternals is telling) to enter Mass Storage mode. Unfortunately, this is where the problem comes in and which may require persistence, interrupting the reboots with Lumia-power-button-(10s)presses as described in (y)our detailed while loop.
Properly summarized?
The_GTA wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:42 pm
HINT: don't do that while loop fore
Would you reexpress your hint, plz? or "fore"="forever"!? ^^
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:19 pm

Csybormelgen wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Properly summarized?
Yes. Now we are clear of any ambiguities. :mrgreen:
Csybormelgen wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:52 pm
Would you reexpress your hint, plz? or "fore"="forever"!? ^^
Yea. The while loop terminates if you performed the entire reboot loop during wpinternals mass storage mode search phase three times. That should be fair for you. It worked for me after a couple of tries after all (you see it relies on many things going right, which is the Lumia Debug Driver that came with the emergency package properly picking up the device, the proper boot order being executed as described inside wpinternals tool and you timing it right).

Good luck! Tell me when you did it and how it worked.
1 x

Csybormelgen

[solved] Lumia 950 XL bootloader restore for accessing Mass Storage mode

Post by Csybormelgen » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:42 pm

You're were soo helpful, thanks man!
Indeed, I only needed one cycle, in which I made those three reboots: first at the Microsoft logo, second at the Windows logo, third inside of W10M (as you'd explained♡) ... to get WPinternals restoring the bootloader. ✨
The process afterwards to unlock it again was as easy as in September, when I did it the first time.

Now it seems everything proper when accessing the Mass Storage modus: WPinternals showes the "Nokia Lumia - Mass Storage mode" page and the drive 'MainOS' (E:\) appears...
Well, now I have surprising troubles getting WOA Deployer ready to do its job, anyhow:
Deploy process ⇢ “Error: The execution of the script 'Get-Disk' failed”
1 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:57 am

Glad that the bootloader has been properly unlocked for you, Csybormelgen :)

Since it is very likely that lack of support for newer W10M builds is the cause for this problem, I have reported our investigation to the official wpinternals repository, the corresponding issue located here.
0 x