Do you think we will see another Windows Phone

Getting a new gadget? Optimized your pizza? Let's talk about it!
ÜberDaniel

Do you think we will see another Windows Phone

Post by ÜberDaniel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Hi,
I really hope we will se another Windows(10) phone.
There are rumoring project Andromeda, the foldable phone from intel and maybe we will see some new phones from other OEMs when the new SD CPU engineered for W10 will be released. I hope so, because i dont want to buy a Phone with android or apple as OS. What do you think. Share your opinion and forgive ma bad English knowledge.

Greetings,
ÜberDaniel
1 x

Ameowli

Re: Do you think we will see another Windows Phone

Post by Ameowli » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:13 am

There won't be another Windows Phone, not in the traditional sense.

Ultramobile PCs that just so happen to have telephony support isn't out of the question, but it's highly doubtful or even torrential considering Android and iOS are working from the opposite side (they are trying to make their OSes more PC-like, whereas Microsoft is trying to make Windows more mobile-like).
2 x
15254.556 // 17763.292

Tozzeb

Post by Tozzeb » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm

Hard to tell, but I really hope so.
I have pretty much grown tired of Android (it does the job, but meh).

What I hope what "Andromeda" is going to be (if it's exist at all) is to be pretty much a normal phone when it's folded, and a tablet when it's unfolded (well, du'h, that's probably the point... I hope), and with the ability to hook it up with a monitor and mouse/keyboard to get a full blown computer, not "Windows-like experience" a la continuum for WP.

I don't hate continuum. It had so much potential, but microsoft didn't even try. Cshell would've been a step in the right direction, but as we all know... it was cancelled.

I know this is going to sound weird and far-fetched, but my dream is to essentially have your computer in your pocket, with the ability to hook it up with a dock via "thunderbolt"-like port with an eGPU, monitor etc. Whatever it should be x86 or ARM, I'm not really sure. But if it were to happen, I guess it would most likely be ARM
1 x

hardwiredw10

Post by hardwiredw10 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:38 pm

Tozzeb wrote:
Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:58 pm
Hard to tell, but I really hope so.
I have pretty much grown tired of Android (it does the job, but meh).

What I hope what "Andromeda" is going to be (if it's exist at all) is to be pretty much a normal phone when it's folded, and a tablet when it's unfolded (well, du'h, that's probably the point... I hope), and with the ability to hook it up with a monitor and mouse/keyboard to get a full blown computer, not "Windows-like experience" a la continuum for WP.

I don't hate continuum. It had so much potential, but microsoft didn't even try. Cshell would've been a step in the right direction, but as we all know... it was cancelled.

I know this is going to sound weird and far-fetched, but my dream is to essentially have your computer in your pocket, with the ability to hook it up with a dock via "thunderbolt"-like port with an eGPU, monitor etc. Whatever it should be x86 or ARM, I'm not really sure. But if it were to happen, I guess it would most likely be ARM
I second most of what you posted.
0 x
Lumia 950 / 950-XL bearer

Serpentbane

Post by Serpentbane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:56 pm

In the upcoming Surface release in October I imagine, at the end, when everyone thought they were finished, Panos goes like, "oh, I forgot something", and then reaches into his pocket...

Now, since this is most likely nothing but a wet dream, the W10ARM on Lumia project just have to do. I refuse to go back to iOS or Android. I DON'T WANT TO!!!!
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Mon Sep 02, 2019 9:35 am

I'd like to see Andromeda released. Windows 10 has matured a lot since 2017. But they did remove the Windows Phone dialing stack (a bad sign). And now they focus on this dual-screen Centaurus tablet PC. So I'd say: no more phone devices from MSFT. IMO big shame. :(
0 x