Windows 10 Mobile as a daily companion?

Getting a new gadget? Optimized your pizza? Let's talk about it!
Lumiatic
Site Admin

Windows 10 Mobile as a daily companion?

Post by Lumiatic » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 am

Hello everyone,

do you also belong to the "The Hards " which still hang on to Windows 10 Mobile?
I have tried again and again with other systems, even several times. But still, I keep coming back to Windows 10 Mobile.

I think this will continue until the first most important services fail, which clearly includes WhatsApp. Because the majority of people from my environment use this messenger. And whether I can get them to move to Skype or Telegram? I almost suspect not.

What does it look like with you? Does your Windows 10 Mobile still use as a daily companion? If so, what are the characteristics or qualities you prefer compared to the other systems?
2 x

SuperJMN
Developer

Re: Windows 10 Mobile as a daily companion?

Post by SuperJMN » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:21 pm

Well, I no longer use my Lumia 950 XL as a daily driver because of WoA. This project "forced" me to buy another phone and that's how I went BACK to Android. I really would like to justify carrying it again, but the lack of updates/app-gap is huge, and under WoA it still doesn't have cellular networking and the autonomy quite bad.

But well, who knows? Maybe in the next months I could take the challenge, specially now that I have purchased another 950 XL with an original battery that may last reasonably.
1 x

vorobejsawka

Post by vorobejsawka » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:30 pm

I love my 950XL phone. Although the whole family is at home with Android phones, for me the Windows phone is the best of what it was.
Last edited by vorobejsawka on Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Ameowli

Post by Ameowli » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:38 pm

I've only had Windows Phones my entire life, and when the inevitable switch happens it'll be super jarring.

I still have my original 900. I hope to resurrect it at some point whenever I can get a hold of one of those jtag boxes.
1 x
15254.556 // 17763.292

MSFT

Post by MSFT » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:40 pm

I remember having Windows CE 1.0 as my daily PDA driver
0 x

eraz04

Post by eraz04 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:43 pm

I have a Lumia 950 XL as my secondary device (primary is a Google Pixel with Android) and i must say that the most apps I'm daily using are also available for Windows 10 Mobile which is really surprising me. I hope the most of the remaining app vendors will support the system further after M$ cancels the support in December ...
0 x

Lumiatic
Site Admin

Post by Lumiatic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am

As I wrote, I somehow return to a Windows Phone device again and again. It is then almost a "coming home" feeling. I would almost claim that everything I need is there and running. Or I have subconsciously already become so accustomed to the reduced possibilities that I don't even notice it anymore. :lol:
0 x

Vega2034

Post by Vega2034 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm

Ran Lumia as daily driver since Lumia 800, got 520, 525, 620, 625, 930, and I'm now on 950, W10M isn't a bad OS, it has many USP (that are reducing with time) Photography is for me the main USP, the natural image treatment algorithm is by far the best in the industry
But I guess the competition is closing in, Glance like feature, Qi charging, Double tap to wake, natural photography, OIS, and system wide dark mode are quite common now
0 x

Lumiatic
Site Admin

Post by Lumiatic » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:36 pm

Vega2034 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:10 pm
But I guess the competition is closing in, Glance like feature, Qi charging, Double tap to wake, natural photography, OIS, and system wide dark mode are quite common now
I recently had the Nokia 8. To be more precise, I used it two days before it went back to the Retoure. I hadn't hoped for much from the camera, but a whole second (one!) Exposure time in Pro mode? No, that doesn't really convince me.
I know that you can get better pictures with the Google Camera. However, the OZO microphones are not controlled, so you are not allowed to shoot concert videos when using the Google camera app. Otherwise, you only have the Samsung Galaxy typical oversteered "something" that should be called sound.

Even the Glance Screen is not actually worthy of its name. No third-party notification like WhatApps, Telegram ect.?
And only visible for a limited time? Where is my enthusiasm? (Attention: Irony…!)

But soon the MWC is and at least camera technically I hope that HMD Global will play with the Nokia 9 and the PureView Brand at the top.
1 x

vorobejsawka

Re: Windows 10 Mobile как ежедневно спутник?

Post by vorobejsawka » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:41 pm

Yes, the camera on Android in general can not shoot, although about them right super reviews do all sorts of authoritative resources, the 950 and 950XL are the best cameras. :P
0 x

PC-DOS

Post by PC-DOS » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:02 pm

Well, I still use a Lumia 930, with WP8.1 Update 1, majorly. In most cases I will carry a Lumia 1520 or a RX-130, which are all running the newest version of Win10M, with me.
0 x
一切有为法,如梦幻泡影。如露亦如电,应作如是观。

hardwiredw10

Post by hardwiredw10 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:02 pm

I have a Lumia 950 and a 950 xl (awaiting for the WOA).
I use the Lumia 950 as my daily driver.
My wife has a L650 and my son a L550.
Even my mother has an L435.

All with Windows 10 mobile

We're all happy with them. Quite frankly we're not considering swapping them at this moment...

The Lumia 435 was my first windows phone, and I grown quite attached to it!

Edit: I also have a Lumia 920 tucked in my drawer.
1 x
Lumia 950 / 950-XL bearer

ÜberDaniel

Post by ÜberDaniel » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:48 pm

I was always not a fan of goole or facebook. So i will change my lumia950xl os to the w10 os. If the fundamental drivers like cellular network are available, i will flash my mobile phone.
0 x

ndopasinaung

Post by ndopasinaung » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:55 am

I'm not fan boy Microsoft, just feel comfort on windows phone....
0 x

eraz04

Post by eraz04 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:19 pm

Lumiatic wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:28 am
As I wrote, I somehow return to a Windows Phone device again and again. It is then almost a "coming home" feeling. I would almost claim that everything I need is there and running. Or I have subconsciously already become so accustomed to the reduced possibilities that I don't even notice it anymore. :lol:
I hadn't this problem when i switched from my WP7 to iOS in 2015. My Lumia 900 was very slow and e.g. unlike other mobile systems muting of chats was not possible on WhatsApp at this time. So i always needed to turn off my phone completely or uninstall WhatsApp when was in groups. Also screenshots, a often required feature, were not possible with WP7. Unlike most others i never had really an app problem, nearly all apps which i needed for daily use were available on WP too even when they were not so good as their Android and iOS pendants in most cases. So my new iOS home was a little bit of pleasure in the beginning. But with the time and after a lot of updates the realibility and speed of the iPhone decreased significantly.

Since December 2017 i'm using Android and although it's working very well the most time always feelings of homesick to iOS or WP appear to me. I don't know why ;)
Last edited by eraz04 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

CornyjK

Post by CornyjK » Sat Feb 02, 2019 1:23 pm

I still use my L950 as a daily driver, I bought it year ago. I miss apps for non-compact sites, I also miss NFC payment, which works on Android. Only the battery life is a huge problem, not sure what is causing it, I have few spare batteries and it's all the same with them, maybe reinstalling the phone will help. I have usually one Android phone in my backpack, but I prefer using the Lumia, as the UI is much more comfort for me. Drawback are screwed MS apps, they finally fixed that UI bug in store, but it still runs horribly slow. I would like to learn C++/C# to make my own apps (I have some ideas), but I don't know where to start.
0 x