Phone disk preparation failed. Cannot prepare the phone for the deployment.

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
henkje

Phone disk preparation failed. Cannot prepare the phone for the deployment.

Post by henkje » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:59 am

When i am deploying on my lumia 950 xl i get this error:
Tried 4 times now, and still getting this error. Tried with the 1903 and the 1809 image.
Logs:
Please help.
0 x

Baorn

Re: Phone disk preparation failed. Cannot prepare the phone for the deployment.

Post by Baorn » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:43 am

Hey,
i get the same Error on the 950XL.

Looks like the Phone Reregisters during deployment in Mass Storage Mode, but Windows cant start the drivers.
Look at the Hardware Manager there should be an unknown device. I didn´t find a fix for this either :/
0 x

marrsf

Post by marrsf » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:36 pm

hI,

I Got the same error with the 950 NonXL.
Heres the log:

Code: Select all

2019-04-21 17:46:49.572 -03:00 [Error] An error has occurred
System.ApplicationException: The execution of the script 'Get-Disk' failed
   em Deployer.NetFx.PowerShellMixin.<ExecuteScript>d__0.MoveNext() na D:\a\1\s\Source\DeployerPlatform\Deployer.NetFx\PowerShellMixin.cs:linha 18
--- Fim do rastreamento de pilha do local anterior onde a exceção foi gerada ---
   em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)
   em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   em Deployer.NetFx.DiskApi.<GetDisks>d__1.MoveNext() na D:\a\1\s\Source\DeployerPlatform\Deployer.NetFx\DiskApi.cs:linha 23
--- Fim do rastreamento de pilha do local anterior onde a exceção foi gerada ---
   em System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   em Deployer.Lumia.Phone.<GetDeviceDiskCore>d__15.MoveNext()
   em Deployer.Lumia.Phone.<GetDeviceDisk>d__14.MoveNext()
   em Deployer.Lumia.Phone.<GetModel>d__8.MoveNext()
   em Deployer.Lumia.WoaDeployer.<Deploy>d__5.MoveNext()
   em Deployer.Lumia.Gui.ViewModels.DeploymentViewModel.<Deploy>d__11.MoveNext() na D:\a\1\s\Source\Deployer.Lumia.Gui\ViewModels\DeploymentViewModel.cs:linha 63
0 x

n1203

Post by n1203 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:48 pm

Run WOA-Deployer as administrator. set Compatibility -> Run as Administrator.
0 x

anthonws

Post by anthonws » Sat May 04, 2019 2:07 pm

This is a known issue. Use a previous version o WOA Deployer. A fix should be added in the near future.
0 x

Ameowli

Post by Ameowli » Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm

Should be fixed with the 2.5.1 release!
0 x
15254.556 // 17763.292

Serpentbane

Post by Serpentbane » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:04 am

Ameowli wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 10:44 pm
Should be fixed with the 2.5.1 release!
I'm having this issue with V.2.6.
0 x

Serpentbane

Post by Serpentbane » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:25 am

Actually, this messed up my device. The boot menu now gives med the option to boot W10 or the dev menu. However it does not boot, I see lots of text and then everything just stops. Not sure if this is W10M or W10ARM booting, I only see one.

Also, going back to mass storage mode, I now fire WOA Deployer - Dual Boot and hots Check status, and not get Duak Boot cannot be enabled in this phone. Please, check that Windows 10 Phone (the original OS) and Windows 10 ARM are both present. Also, check that Windows 10 ARM Setup has been completed.
0 x

Serpentbane

Post by Serpentbane » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am

Tried using 2.5.2 instead of 2.6, and this fixed this particular issue. However, it looks like this ruined any chance of running a dual boot as I'm no longer able to boot the device into W10m as far as I can see.
0 x

baudl

Post by baudl » Sun Sep 01, 2019 2:51 pm

Hi,
had the same problem suppose I had 2 things wrong.
  • My Virtual CD-Drive had a drive letter leaving a gap in the sequence. So that that the lumia first drive letter cam up, second got hidden behind the Virtual drive and third on, cam up again. => when the deployment start you should have 4 letters and the 5th is created during deployment.
  • my data drive had not enough place. In the options it was set to 18gB, but only 13 where available. So I had to delete some pictures to free up space form the data partition.
So it would be good if the deployment tool would check for the right (normal) number of Drives and if there is suffictient space before deployment starts.
0 x

dudemo

Post by dudemo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:35 pm

Serpentbane wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:48 am
Tried using 2.5.2 instead of 2.6, and this fixed this particular issue. However, it looks like this ruined any chance of running a dual boot as I'm no longer able to boot the device into W10m as far as I can see.
Yes you can. It's not very intuitive, but you have to go to the Advanced tab and make sure "Keep Windows 10 Mobile" (or similar) is selected. Then deploy Windows 10 ARM. Boot and finalize the Win 10 ARM install and reboot the device into the boot menu and select "USB Mass Storage Mode". Plug the phone back into the computer. Open Woadeployer and go to the Dual Boot tab. Select "Check" and see if that works. If it does, you will now have the option to boot into Windows 10 Mobile in the boot menu. If you got an error, go to the Advance tab and select "Force Dual Boot". That should add the option to boot into Windows 10 Mobile to the boot menu.

It took me a while to figure this out.
0 x

trisot

Post by trisot » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:08 am

I got this error even with the latest 2.6. Any suggestions what im doing wrong?
0 x

Fuchur84

Post by Fuchur84 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:26 am

Same here... what should be done now?
I am pretty sure that there is not enough space left to install WinArm on the device but I am not sure where to go to delete enough files to be able to install it.

I can not boot to Windows 10 Mobile right now (in the menu I only get the entry "Windows 10", but it only starts a script called starup.nsh and it runs through but then there is the message "Press ESC in n seconds to skip startup.nsh or any other key to continue". I can press enter (camera button) or up down but it does not do anything. It just stays there.

Any help would be great :)

Best regards
*Fuchur*
0 x

Fuchur84

Post by Fuchur84 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:20 pm

Okay so to get it to boot back into Windows 10 Mobile you just need to go to Windows Phone Internal and click on "Restore bootloader". Follow the instructions and you should be able to boot back into Windows 10 Mobile.

After that, you might want to see if you can get more free space on your phone's internal memory. I think a lot of times it is all about not having enough space left. You will need at least 10 (I am not sure if that can work... it was the lowest number I could set the slider in the WOA Deployer to) better 18-20 GB of space. Otherwise you just should not try it out.

Best regards
*Fuchur*
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:11 pm

@Fuchur84: please before tinkering with your device like that do a complete backup of your phone, either using wpinternals partition backup or by booting into W10M and using the USB cable to a PC. There are many SIM related settings that could be lost (blocked phone numbers) or maybe even app settings not being properly stored to the cloud. I really do not want you to brick your device because the wpinternals GUI decided to hang during flashing.
0 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:25 pm

I ran into the same issue. I've fixed it now two times (so three times till now I had to restore my bootloader at all, but different story ^^) by following Fuchur84s approach — indeed an easy process, could do it all day long 😜...
But seriously, I've no clue why the issue appears. All those different partitions and their sizes making little sense to me, however the important one (?!?) —the Phone— should have very much enough (!?!)... evend (@ 2nd try) shrinked the Space Allocation to 18.75 GB (having a 1.25 GB puffer):

Btw, that's a setting which can be simply changed later (when re-deploying), right!?
So may I give it a try by turning it down to (minimum of) 10 GB allocation?

Here are the logs for the two unsuccessful «Deploy 🚀» tries:

Awesome community (I could enjoy so far !!)
behind this (so close to be able to enjoy ?!) awesome project
—thanks so much... just repeating ;-*
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:17 pm

Csybormelgen wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:25 pm
I ran into the same issue. I've fixed it now two times (so three times till now I had to restore my bootloader at all, but different story ^^) by following Fuchur84s approach — indeed an easy process, could do it all day long 😜...
But seriously, I've no clue why the issue appears. All those different partitions and their sizes making little sense to me, however the important one (?!?) —the Phone— should have very much enough (!?!)... evend (@ 2nd try) shrinked the Space Allocation to 18.75 GB (having a 1.25 GB puffer):

Dear Csybormelgen, sorry for replying so late. I was at a good friends birthday party today.

First of all, I did encounter this issue aswell and did work around it.

You may encounter this error message, if:
1) you indeed have little space to free for the Data partition (partition is very fragmented)
2) or the Data partition has been manually shrunk using Windows 10 partition manager

In your screenshot you are showing us untrustworthy size values. Windows 10 Mobile is known to report 32GB as maximum system space even though you did a side-install of Windows 10 ARM. Here is an example of size-reporting on my W10ARM Lumia 950:
wp10_storage_with_w10arm.png
wp10_storage_with_w10arm.png (20.25 KiB) Viewed 44 times
To be frank, please show us the layout of your partitions through Mass Storage Mode. You do know the following window, right?
datenträgerverwaltung_w10.png
datenträgerverwaltung_w10.png (74.2 KiB) Viewed 44 times
After posting your details, you may try manually fixing the size of the Data partition to be maximum because WOA.Deployer expects it to be a certain size if you did not deploy W10ARM already. It is safe to defragment your Lumia 950's partitions using Windows 10 system defragmentation tool aswell.
1 x

Csybormelgen

Post by Csybormelgen » Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:24 am

The_GTA wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:17 pm
Dear Csybormelgen, sorry for replying so late. I was at a good friends birthday party today.
Good to "see" you, The_GTA! And nothing to be sorry for: your reliablity/engagement goes much beyond I would have expected to find (here) 🤗
...hope the friend's party was good and full of Lumia talks 🤓 kidding(...somehow)! :mrgreen:

My (inside) Win10Mobile infos are the following:
- Gesamt: 29,1 GB
- Verwendet: 8,07 GB
- Verbleibend: 21,0 GB
- Apps und Spiele: 4,30 GB
- System-reserviert: 3,74 GB
- Temporäre Dateien: 28,2 MB
- [...]

However, my (Lumia related) partitions look quite fucked up (without any manual editings so far):
[Screenshot(254KB)] Datenträgerverwaltung꞉ Lumia-Partitionen.jpg
[Screenshot(254KB)] Datenträgerverwaltung꞉ Lumia-Partitionen.jpg (253.51 KiB) Viewed 24 times
How to approach that mass ?!? :shock:

Best,
C.
0 x