Updated step by steps needed

Something Forum-related isn't working right or could go better? Let me know and I will try to fix this
Serpentbane

Updated step by steps needed

Post by Serpentbane » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:42 pm

So, having three Lumias (1x950 and 2x950XL) I'm interested in this project. However, getting started is not as straight forward as one would like. It's not that I'm unable to find information, it's that the information I find tend to be either fragmented or outdated, or I'm not actually able to determine if it's outdated or not. Also, some tutorials tend to assume people knows a lot more than many people actually do.

When I started searching for information I found several pages with step by steps that had slightly different information, same goes for videos. Some information points at GitHub, others at files shared from some one drive account. And different tools are used.

Although I'm sure most of these could work, it is hard to determine what's the latest "official unofficial" release. Because this is WIP and there is a huge difference now from a couple of months ago.

I was happy to find this site then, official project site, with a tutorial section. I was equally disappointed to find only one post marked outdated. How come the official site for the project do not have updated information on how to get started. A single page with step by step instructions, with url's to the most resent and recommended source material. Then you could update in one location, and this would be THE location to go to get started. If the information is out and readily available, people would not have to spend time searching for the right information, and people would not have to ask so many questions.
1 x

Lumiatic
Site Admin

Re: Updated step by steps needed

Post by Lumiatic » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:58 am

Hello Serpentbane,

many thanks for your Feedback.
Currently we are working on it to bring all the necessary informations like a Step by step Guide and
a Download Section with the required Files and Tools.

Plus we want to keep this up to Date.

We make a short announcement on the Telegram Channel when we are Done :-)

Best regards,
Rainer
0 x

Predator

Post by Predator » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:34 am

Hello. I have the same feeling. I would like to install the W10ARM in my Lumia 950, but I don't know how to start! :lol:

I don't have Telegram, but I didn't find a "Download section" or an updated guide, so I supose that it still in construction, really?

I understand that it may take time to get all this work ready, I will be expectant cheking for updates.

Greetings.
0 x

Michiage

Post by Michiage » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 pm

Hi Predator,
I also had no idea of this one day ago, but I managed to get it working on my 950. Some Tipps from newbie to newbie :D

1. Make shure you backup your data if you want to do that. Charge your Phone :!:

2. Use "Windows Device Recovery Tool" to reset the phone fully. You can also do that later if the WoA installation should not be working and you want to try again.

3. Use "Windows Phone Internals 2.8" to unlook bootloader. For that first go to "download" an download all files, the program will detect your phone. Then go to "unlock bootloader" an let it do its thing. Dont be distracted by anything. Do not mess with random open folders!
Follow the instructions of the program. When finished go to "manual mode" an set the phone to mass storage mode.

4. Get a Windows file. Here is a good guide: https://github.com/WOA-Project/guides/b ... tingWOA.md
I used Version 19041.1 because 19546.1000 was not able to install on my phone (just advice for now)

5. Use "WoA Deployer" to deploy windows to your Lumia. Before that check advanced settings. You are able to change some other stuff. But you dont have to.

6. Let the Deployer do its thing. It will take some time. Relax 8-)

7. Press Power an Volume down until it vibrates. Select Windows 10 in boot menu. Let the phone alone installing but keep an eye on it.
It might crash on first atttempt. If nothing is happening for over 10 min (freez or blackscreen) reboot the phone an try again. If succsessful, windows will apear :D :D :D If not go back to 2. and try another windows version :|

8. Now Windows 10 ARM should work. To enable dual boot, reboot the phone. Select advanced settings and put the phone in mass storage mode and connect it to the PC again. Open the Deployer once again. In advanced settings is an option "force dual boot". Press it. Now you should be able to select both windows versions in the boot menu.

9. To improve user experience and speed disable any visual effects and do some other stuff. In this Forum are some tipps, just search the forum ;)

I hope this helps.

Michiage
0 x

Predator

Post by Predator » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 pm

Michiage wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:17 pm
Hi Predator,
I also had no idea of this one day ago, but I managed to get it working on my 950. Some Tipps from newbie to newbie :D

1. Make shure you backup your data if you want to do that. Charge your Phone :!:

2. Use "Windows Device Recovery Tool" to reset the phone fully. You can also do that later if the WoA installation should not be working and you want to try again.

3. Use "Windows Phone Internals 2.8" to unlook bootloader. For that first go to "download" an download all files, the program will detect your phone. Then go to "unlock bootloader" an let it do its thing. Dont be distracted by anything. Do not mess with random open folders!
Follow the instructions of the program. When finished go to "manual mode" an set the phone to mass storage mode.

4. Get a Windows file. Here is a good guide: https://github.com/WOA-Project/guides/b ... tingWOA.md
I used Version 19041.1 because 19546.1000 was not able to install on my phone (just advice for now)

5. Use "WoA Deployer" to deploy windows to your Lumia. Before that check advanced settings. You are able to change some other stuff. But you dont have to.

7. Press Power an Volume down until it vibrates. Select Windows 10 in boot menu. Let the phone alone installing but keep an eye on it.
It might crash on first atttempt. If nothing is happening for over 10 min (freez or blackscreen) reboot the phone an try again. If succsessful, windows will apear :D :D :D If not go back to 2. and try another windows version :|

8. Now Windows 10 ARM should work. To enable dual boot, reboot the phone. Select advanced settings and put the phone in mass storage mode and connect it to the PC again. Open the Deployer once again. In advanced settings is an option "force dual boot". Press it. Now you should be able to select both windows versions in the boot menu.

9. To improve user experience and speed disable any visual effects and do some other stuff. In this Forum are some tipps, just search the forum ;)

I hope this helps.

Michiage
Thank you very much for your help!
So, does this process delete the data of W10M? Is it necessary to reset it in order to install the W10M? After do it, it is always possible to do the dual boot (choose betwen W10M and W10ARM)?

My main doubt is with the version of W10M that I should choose. The 19041.1 when was released?

How about your experience with Lumia 950 in ARM (battery, functions, fluency, etc)?

I think I'm going to start the process this week after save my data.

Thank you again.
Last edited by Predator on Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Michiage

Post by Michiage » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm

Predator wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Michiage wrote:
Hi Predator,

I hope this helps.

Michiage
So, does this process delete the data of W10M? Is it necessary to reset it in order to install the W10M? After do it, it is always possible to do the dual boot (choose betwen W10M and W10ARM)?

My main doubt is with the version of W10M that I should choose. The 19041.1 when was released?

How about your experience with Lumia 950 in ARM (battery, functions, fluency, etc)?

I think I'm going to start the process this week after sabe my data.

Thank you again.
The Windows Device Recovery Tool will delete all data, yes. Maybe its possible to install Win 10 ARM without the use of the Recovery Tool but I think its better to reset the phone with the Recovery Tool first.

An import thing I forgot to mention is, that its not possible to update Win 10 mobile after Win 10 ARM is installed. If you want to have the latest Win 10 mobile version, you should update between step 2 and 3. Just use the normal way of updating in settings. Otherwise it will be a very early version. But honestly I dont care. Win 10 mobile is pretty much dead.

19041.1 was released in December 2019.

Yes, it is always possible to dual boot after step 8. Win 10 mobile will be standard, but you are able to select win 10 ARM in the boot menu manually.

The experience with the 950 in ARM is okay. Sometimes it is a bit slow, but it is usable. I think the 3gb of RAM are the main problem. Make shure to run only ARM native apps. X86 apps will work, but they are terribly slow. Batterylife on my phone: ca. 11h in Standby and ca. 3-4h in usage. It definitely drains the battery much quicker than in mobile. Graphic driver crashes from time to time but recovers after few seconds.
USB-C kinda works, but it requires some attention with the mode switcher app.
0 x

Predator

Post by Predator » Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:08 am

Michiage wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm
The Windows Device Recovery Tool will delete all data, yes. Maybe its possible to install Win 10 ARM without the use of the Recovery Tool but I think its better to reset the phone with the Recovery Tool first.

An import thing I forgot to mention is, that its not possible to update Win 10 mobile after Win 10 ARM is installed. If you want to have the latest Win 10 mobile version, you should update between step 2 and 3. Just use the normal way of updating in settings. Otherwise it will be a very early version. But honestly I dont care. Win 10 mobile is pretty much dead.

Yes, it is always possible to dual boot after step 8. Win 10 mobile will be standard, but you are able to select win 10 ARM in the boot menu manually.

The experience with the 950 in ARM is okay. Sometimes it is a bit slow, but it is usable. I think the 3gb of RAM are the main problem. Make shure to run only ARM native apps. X86 apps will work, but they are terribly slow. Batterylife on my phone: ca. 11h in Standby and ca. 3-4h in usage. It definitely drains the battery much quicker than in mobile. Graphic driver crashes from time to time but recovers after few seconds.
Good morning, and thank you again, your info and tips are very apreciated.

How can I know if an app is ARM native? All the apps from the Store? I'm not sure about this…
The Windows that we install in the device, is a x86 or x64 version? What does the mobile support?

I don't care too much about the updates of the W10Mobile, as far as I know, these previous days MS has released the last one. And I supose that Windows Device Recovery Tool Will install the last one.

Finally, about the USB-C, do you mean that it's is possible to plug it to a PC and access to the internal storage?

Thank you very much!
0 x

AMR1

Post by AMR1 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:33 pm

Michiage wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:40 pm
Predator wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:35 pm
Michiage wrote:
Hi Predator,

I hope this helps.

Michiage

I think I'm going to start the process this week after sabe my data.

Thank you again.

The WM partition CAN install OS updates after installing WOA and dual-booting, as I did for several months. However, MS is no longer making any OS updates for WM (15254.603 is the terminal release). But if you have an older version of WM installed, you should be able to update up to the terminal release. That said, the WOA partition will only auto-update if you remove the dual-boot option first (a quick and simple process with WOAdeployer), then you can reload dual-boot afterward, with no loss of data or settings on the WM partition.

I am currently running WM (15254.603) and W64Pro (19041.21) dual-boot on my 950XL with no major issues, but hopeful that later WOA builds will be able to get around the BSOD issues, and allowing even greater features on our Lumias. However, the mobile processor and 3 BG RAM will always be limitations to functionality.
0 x

Predator

Post by Predator » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:38 am

So, finally I had some time and I put W10ARM in my Lumia 950. It worked very fine this guide, really. Thank you a lot for your help!

I will try during a time and then I will put the Litle version of WoA in order to compare it (I have read that it has a better fluency and speed due the capability cuts).

Now I'm going to try how to configure it to get more battery life and fluency. Thank you again!
0 x

Sztyepadzso

Post by Sztyepadzso » Wed May 06, 2020 11:15 am

Dear Michiage ,

I would like to thank you for your guide, it is simple and effective!

I was able to deploy Version 17763 and 19041. The 1st one is better, the 19041 is slower, and I had to install it without net.
Version 19608 and 19613 were not willing to be deployed.

But I have noticed two things:
-Working Cores in SD808

-"Sensitive" USB:
If I start W10, it is working, it is charging(but it seems like I have to push it stronger, than if I would be in W10M - I know it sounds stupid :roll: ),
but if I press the power button or the display shut itself down, it doen't charge anymore :?:

Does anyone else experience this?
Attachments
IMG_20200430_144925_CUT.jpg
IMG_20200430_144925_CUT.jpg (208.6 KiB) Viewed 5941 times
0 x