HDD on USB not waking up

Stuck at some Point? Your Lumia is already dead? Maybe others can help you!
baudl

HDD on USB not waking up

Post by baudl » Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Hi,
I have the idea to use WoA to build a nice NAS. So far all super working, if only the hard disks would wake up after spin down. (few minutes without activity).
Any clue? How can I find out if I have the right Version of USB driver?
0 x

The_GTA

Re: HDD on USB not waking up

Post by The_GTA » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:13 am

Hello baudl,

I think it helps people understand your problem if they understand your setup. I assume that you have a Lumia 950 (XL or non-XL?).
So I tried reproducing what you just described.

phone_nas_access_view.png
phone_nas_access_view.png (56.89 KiB) Viewed 111 times
nas_network_phone_detected.png
nas_network_phone_detected.png (80.69 KiB) Viewed 111 times
Does this look like anything you have tried?
0 x

baudl

Post by baudl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:36 pm

Hi,
yes, pretty much, wanted to post it to the success stories, but I couldn't find them anywhere.
But yes, I have a sharkoon 4 Bay USB-3 diskstation. It's plugged for now into the Microsoft Display dock and I have now for testing 2 Disks in it.
the Lumia 950-XL detects the discks when the are powered up (having a button) and after some minutes without any activity you can hear the disks spin down, as it should be.
Some time later. I am still identifying the exact event, the disc are not spinning up.
One reason could be, that those 4 Bay drives assign differenet LUN, this was also the problem why it's not working on my WD-NAS.
I will continue testing to identify root cause.

One I get it to work it's a suuuper cool NAS. Replacin my old Homeserver with muuuuuch less energy consumption.

The_GTA: Does your setup reliably spin up?
0 x

The_GTA

Post by The_GTA » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:19 pm

My setup does spin up, at least, I'd say. Yours sounds more advanced than mine because of multiple disks.

One problem I realized was that pressing the power button on my Lumia 950 puts it into energe saving mode (it does not simply disable the screen). Also the standard Windows 10 ARM config by gus33000 puts the device to energe saving mode after 1 minute of idle. So a fix for the time-based issue was increasing the time in the Windows 10 settings while keeping the display turn-off time the same. Not sure if this helps ya?

You are kind of right about the energy consumption bit. The Lumia 950 takes at most 15 Watts of power, roughly 7.5 Watts all the time counting Display Dock and 1 HDD. While the Lumia 950 is protected from power outage, the Display Dock is not. So you'd need an uninterruptible power supply anyway.
0 x

baudl

Post by baudl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for the power consumption info! Anyway that's much less tham my current AMD Athlon. Uninterruptabable powersupply is not a requirment for me as home user. Rather speed need counts and here the display dock lacks with it's USB2 Ports. Only 20MByte/s are now achievable. For some minutes I connected the Lumia and the disks to my LG Monitor, which has a USB-C Hub. Then It easily made 60+ MByte/s. So, when all stabilizese I will look for a better Dock than Display Dock.

Back to the Problem: It seems to be with the Sharkoon 4 Bay HDD Doc, because another USB Disk I had around spins up and also sleeps nicely.
No I did a Firmware update of the dock to see if it helps.
I am sure there is nothing wrong with WoA!
0 x

baudl

Post by baudl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:57 pm

Ahh, one more thing. I also use an USB-Gbit Ethernetadapter. no Wifi altough it's working. I simply like wires ;-)
0 x